Fall for Cotton - A Vintage Sewing Challenge for the Cotton Lover - Finish
Well sewing nation, my submission for the Fall for Cotton sewing challenge is completed. I actually finished yesterday, but I had to wait until today to take crummy pictures (my husband does not have camera skills, despite what he says). I used Retro Butterick 5748 for my dress and Retro Butterick 4792 for the bolero.
The fabric is from my stash. I had just enough to complete both pieces (5 yards). I did have to piece the fabric together the fabric for the belt. This dress was originally my toile. When it became evident that I (a) didn't have enough time to make two of these dresses without losing sleep and (b) I didn't want to make this dress again, I went ahead and fitted this dress. Even though I chose my size according to my measurements, like many people have reported, I had to take the dress in to the tune of 2 sizes. I made some small changes to this pattern - I raised the back of the dress (it was just to low cut in the back for me) and I added netting in between the lining and the skirt so I didn't have to fuss with a crenoline. It was an experiment that turned out quite well.
All in all, I am very happy with the dress and the fit.
The dress has a side zipper. I think I may need to change my zippers to side zips -- it's so much easier to get dressed.
I made a covered belt. Since my buckle was not from a kit, I simply glued fabric to a belt buckle and glued trim on the back to hide the mess.
This dress certainly gives me an hourglass from the back!
All in all, I love this dress and can't wait to wear it out on the town!